Thursday, March 10, 2011

Augusta Board of Supervisors and "clock-gate"

After: Clock at back of supervisors meeting room.
After: Clock at back of room.
Before: Clock originally hung over left column, easily visible to audience as well as supervisors. New location of clock can be seen at right.

For the 12 or so years I've been attending Augusta County Board of Supervisor meetings at the Government Center in Verona, a clock has hung on the side wall fully within view of the supervisors sitting in front of the audience and in view of those attending the meeting, as well. It worked for everyone.

Last night, as the supervisors filed into their seats, I glanced at the wall to see how close we were to starting the meeting.

No clock.

I quickly scanned the entire side wall ... no clock. What had happened to our clock?

Thinking it had been taken down to pain the walls or something, I twisted my head around to the wall behind me ... and there was the clock, fully in view of the supervisors but now not easily visible to the audience. From my angle in the second row from the front, although the clock could be seen, the time could not be read.

A-ha! We have "clock-gate" here in Augusta County! Someone obviously has been plotting to keep the time away from citizens as they attend supervisor meetings. Inquiring minds want to know why the clock was moved so that it is now only convenient for the supervisors to see. I've placed an inquiry with my supervisor.

(Ahh ... if that was all that was going on in little ol' bucolic Augusta County, we'd have it made....)

No comments: